Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Member: Princess

PRINCESS



Princess became a member of our family in May of 2007. Allison, her 5 year old human sister was having trouble focusing in school. She wanted more then anything else to have a kitten, so we told her if she could pull off 3 perfect progress reports, she could have a kitten! She not only received 3 good reports, but 5!!! We went to a friend's farm where there were 3 litters of kittens. The only rules were no females (they're not friendly) and no long hair (sheds a lot.) These were Mom's rules. We'll the first one I picked up (me being Allison's Dad) was a very cute orange kitten. It was not unlike putting my hand in a running blender. I held on to it so Allison could see, as I thought possibly they all might be wild. The next few were nicer, but she kept gravitating to this scrawny malnourished (her mother was neglecting her) little tortie with sorta long hair, referred to by one of the owners as "one of those ugly brown ones." I tried to talk her into a little kitten that reminded me of a cinnamon powdered donut while her Mom rallied for an orange and white spotted one. At one point we took her around the side of the house to see some kittens under the porch and with what must have been its last ounce of strength the little tortie crawled weakly through the grass to Allison then collapsed! As we battled for candidacy on our favorite two, Allison finally decided on the orange and white one...but then she pleaded "if she could please play with her favorite one (tortie) for just 5 more minutes before we left." I had to say aloud "do you realize how ridiculous this is? Mom protested, "but she's a female, but she's got long hair, she might not live thru the night"......my thoughts as well, but we gave our little girl the choice. Mom said, "Allison, if you could have any kitten here, which one would you choose?" She said, "I'd choose the one who chose me. I'd choose this one!" We said she could, and she shrieked with joy hugging the frail little tortie.......and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Almost a year later, Princess is very healthy, friendly, great with children, and oh yes, she grew! Allison thinks the reason her mother neglected her was because she was jealous because she's so beautiful. She has a forever home here now, and she'll always be loved